Chocolate Chip Cookie Shortbread
These cookies are buttery perfection.
During this time of quarantine, all I have been wanting to do is bake. Which is great for the practice. I mostly make cakes, but I wanted to bake something different and these cookies are a great snack and super quick and easy to throw together.
Let's Get Started!
No need to preheat your oven just yet! You will be chilling the cookie dough for 2 hours before we bake.
1. Using a standing mixer and the paddle attachment, mix together your softened butter, sugar, and vanilla extract. Beat on medium-high for 2-5 minutes – until light a fluffy.
This step is really important to have soft butter but not melted. This is the step I forget the most. Mostly, because I sometimes randomly come across a recipe I have ingredients for already and spontaneously decide to bake and my butter is still cold and refrigerated. Make sure you take your butter out and let sit out for AT LEAST 30 minutes.
2. Once you butter mixture is combined, lower your speed to low and add your flour until just combined.
Make sure to scrape the sides of the bowl to get all your ingredients into the dough.
3. Now it is time to add your chocolate chips! Pour in your 2/3 cup and fold your chocolate chips into your dough.
4. According to the recipe, you can one of two things to your dough. Put it in a ziploc bag and chill for two hours and then roll out and cut it into squares OR roll out your dough, cut it into squares, and then chill for 2 hours. I chose to do the latter.
Roll out your dough and into a square and cut the dough into little squares. When rolling out your dough be sure to flour your station! This is to make sure that your dough doesn't stick to the surface. I used a mat to put down on my counter. I also put flour on my rolling pin. Your dough can stick to this as well and you want all your dough in the squares and not on any surfaces!
Once your dough is rolled out to 1/3 inch think square, cut your squares out and place on a baking sheet. In order to keep your shortbread from sticking to the baking sheet while baking, add parchment paper and place your cookies on top.
Chill for 2 hours. While your dough is chilling, preheat your oven to 325°F.
5. Once your dough is chilled and your oven is preheated, place your baking sheet in the oven for 18-20 minutes.
I set my timer for 15 minutes and once the timer went off, I rotated the baking sheet in the oven 180°. I do this to make sure I am getting an even bake. 100% not necessary. I continued to baked for 3 more minutes and continued to check the cookies until they were slightly browned around the bottom and edges.
6. Take your cookies out and place them on a cooling rack.
LET THEM COOL
Make sure to let your shortbread cool a little bit before immediately transferring to the cooling rack. These are delicate when hot and can break easily. Once cooled, they are much more durable. I definitely broke several cookies. You don't have to wait long – maybe 5 to 10 minutes and then transfer to cooling rack to continue to cool.
Now Enjoy Your Delicious Shortbread
Get This Recipe
What to make your own Chocolate Chip Shortbread, go here for the full recipe and steps. Good luck!